Sometimes it's not easy to get your full workout in, especially if you're under a time restriction. But if you can find 20 minutes, it's still possible to do a full body circuit workout. The best thing about circuits is that they keep you moving with little to no rest between exercises. Your heart rate stays up as if you were doing cardio. Check out this full body routine. All you will need is a stability ball and free weights!
1. Squat Jumps: A terrific way to do a cardio burst! Stand with feet shoulder width apart doing a regular squat and then exploding up as if you're reaching for the ceiling. Do 3 sets 10-15 reps.
2. V-Hold with Rotation: You can do this with weights in place of the medicine ball here. I wouldn't use more than 5-10 pounds. Sitting on your tailbone with your legs bent (you can extend the legs for an advanced position), rotate your arms from side to side. Make sure to keep your chest up so your shoulders are staying back. Repeat 3 sets of 12-24 repetitions.
3. Dumbbell Chest Fly on Stability Ball: Walk yourself out on the stability ball so that your head is resting comfortably. Using dumbbells starting with arms straight above you and elbows slightly bent, lower the weights down so they are even with your shoulders. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps.
4. Single Arm Reverse Fly: This is one of my favorite exercises because it involves your whole core and can give you some great upper back definition! Remember to keep shoulders and hips square to the bench. Your knee will always be down on the same side you're doing your reverse fly. Squeeze that shoulder blade in toward the spine on each repetition. Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps each side.
5. Tricep Push-Ups: You can either do the modified version that's pictured or the advanced version with your knees up and your feet on the ground. The difference between these and regular push-ups is that your elbows stay close to your body. Remember to keep your abs tight as you lower so your lower back is supported. Do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.
One of the top fitness trainers in Chicago for ten-plus years. With eight years of personal training and management experience at one of the Gold Coast’s most exclusive clubs, Stephanie started her own business in 2004. She moved to the city in 1993 to attend DePaul University on a tennis scholarship and graduated in 1997 with degrees in Fitness Management and Athletic Training. During her years at DePaul, she was on the Great Midwest All Conference Team, DePaul Athletic Board, Conference USA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and Captain of the Women’s Tennis Team for two years.
Starting at a young age playing competitive tennis, health and fitness have always played a significant role in Stephanie’s life. Her goal with each client is to provide guidance to a healthy and active lifestyle... and when they are committed to feeling fit and staying fit, she knows she's acheived success.
Stephanie has worked with both professional athletes and the general public, focusing on such things as: sports-specific training, sports rehabilitation, Muscle Activation Techniques, bridal fitness, pre/post partum training, weight loss, marathon training, scoliosis and arthritis.
Ski Slide (or side shuffles) for 45 sec. to 1 min. Plank Ups on slide board or climbers (10-20 reps) Front Raise with yellow or green band (12-15 reps) Reverse Fly prone on stability ball (12-15 reps)
Forward Walking Lunge with 1 Arm Shoulder Press (30 reps total/15 each side) Low to Hi Cable Rotation (12 reps each side) Lower Abdominal Twists (15-20 reps each side) Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions on Stability Ball (12-15 reps) Tricep Pushdowns w/ Bar (12-15 reps)
Push Ups on Bosu (10-15 reps) Reverse Crunches on Ground (15-25 reps) Medicine Ball Stretch Back Crunches on Stability Ball (15-25 reps) Side Plank Holds (20-45 sec. each side)
Repeat each circuit 3 times
Alternating Arm Cable Chest Press (30 reps total) Oblique Crunches on Bosu (20-30 reps) Reverse Lunge/One Arm Shoulder Press Balance (12-15 reps each side) Jump Rope (1 min) Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown (12-15 reps) Seated Leg Curl (12-15 reps) Single Arm Bent Over Row on 1 leg (12 reps each side) Seated Adductor Machine (12-15 reps) Bicycle Abs with Upper Body Twist (20-30 reps) Prone Glute Extensions on Ball or floor (15 reps each side)
Repeat 3 times
Single Leg Squat Shoulder Press (12-15 reps each side) V-ups (15-20 reps) Side Walks w/ Circle Band (15 walks each side) Rope or Wide Grip Cable Row (12-15 reps) Step Ups (45-60 secs.) Side Planks w/ Hip Lift (12-15 each side) Incline Dumbell Chest Press (12-15 reps) Alternating Forward/Side Lunges (8-10 reps each side) Lower Abs Scissors (20-30 reps) Single Arm Rope Tricep Extension (12-15 reps each side) Cable Bicep Curls with Bar (12-15 reps) Squat or Box Jumps (12 reps)
Repeat 3 times
Alternating Cable Chest Press (12-15 reps) Bent Over Dumbell Row (12-15 reps) Plie Squats (15 reps) Decline Crunches on the Bosu (20-25 reps) One Arm Lateral Raise on One Leg (or balance on 1/2 foam, 12 reps) Lunge Jumps (16 reps) Side Bends on Ball or machine (15 reps each side) Lat Pulldown on Ball (12-15 reps) Dumbell Tricep Kickbacks (12-15 reps) Lateral Jumps touching cones or ground (20 reps) Bicep Curl with One Arm Hold (12 reps each side)
Repeat 3 times
Single Arm Chest Press on the Ball (10-15 reps) Alternating Oblique Crunches on Ball (20-30 reps) Single Leg Squats touching ground (10-15 reps each side) Pull-ups (10-15 reps) Cable Low Row (10-15 reps) Jump Rope (1 minute) Alternating Reverse Lunges w/ Bicep Curl (20-30 reps) Push-ups (12-15 reps) Prone Leg Curl (10-15 reps) Single Leg Press (10-15 reps)